Our students need your help. Regardless of whether you have children in public schools or not, every child deserves a quality public education. Be part of the solution and Stand Up for Public Schools.
• Public schools are thriving in Ohio and across nation. Get informed about the state of public education in the U.S. by staying up to speed on the latest education news and information. Visit the National School Board Association’s evidence-based Center for Public Education website to learn timely, credible and accurate information about public schools, such as this article, “10 good things about public education.”
• Visit the Ohio Department of Education website to learn how Ohio public schools are performing academically and view prestigious state and national honors recently awarded to Ohio public schools.
• Visit the Ohio School Boards Association website to learn about Ohio legislation impacting public education and visit the National School Boards Association website to learn about federal legislation with implications for Ohio.
Share your success stories
• Show how public education is making a difference by submitting your success stories about local schools. The Stand Up for Public Schools website features stories, photos and videos demonstrating innovative instruction, outstanding student programs, efforts to bolster student achievement and extraordinary acts of citizenship, community service and compassion by Ohio students.
• Use social media to share your success stories with your network — you may be surprised how far your message can spread. Include the hashtag #OhioEdSuccess with your message and be sure to follow the Ohio School Boards Association on Facebook and Twitter to learn about other success stories in public schools.
• Find out where candidates stand on important education issues and vote in local, state and national elections. Visit the Ohio Secretary of State website to learn more about voting.
• Contact your representatives at the state and national levels about important education issues. You can find contact information online for your legislators in the U.S. House of Representatives, U.S. Senate and Ohio General Assembly.
• Encourage your students, parents, community members and education leaders to record a 30-second video about the importance of local public schools.
• Use these Stand Up for Public Schools talking points as a guide to discuss the importance of public schools and their success in Ohio and the nation.
• Use this all-purpose sample speech as a guide to discuss the importance of public schools with civic, community and parent groups.
• School leaders, use this sample graduation speech, which includes information about the importance of public education.
• Write a letter to the editor or blog post about the importance of public education. Use our sample letter to the editor as a guide.
• Change your Facebook and Twitter profile photo to the Stand Up for Public Schools logo to highlight your commitment to public education.
• Show your support for public schools. Photograph board members, administrators, staff, students and community members with the Stand Up for Public Schools signs and share the photos on your district’s website and through social media.
• The most successful schools in the nation are those supported by a caring, active community of volunteers. Volunteering is easy, rewarding and fun. From donating time each week to read in classrooms to sharing your professional expertise at a career day event, you can contribute to your local public school.
• Citizen school boards are at the heart of our public education system. Each school district is governed by a school board made up of locally elected citizens who work to promote higher levels of student achievement. Attend your local district’s board of education meetings and find ways to get involved, such as serving on committees or advisory boards. For those who really want to make a difference, consider becoming a candidate for a school board.